Give your immune system a boost this winter with this delicious and nutritious kale smoothie!
The use of kale in the form of smoothies has become increasingly common as people become more aware of the health benefits of this leafy green vegetable. The kale leaves are often diced and combined with other ingredients such as fruits, yogurt, and milk to create a drink that is silky smooth and creamy in texture. Because of the high concentration of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that can be found in kale, smoothies made with kale are an excellent choice for individuals who wish to increase the amount of nutrients that they take in.
Benefits of kale smoothies:
- High in nutrients: Kale has a wealth of essential minerals, including but not limited to vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, potassium, and calcium. Kale is also rich in antioxidants. As the ingredients are pureed into a smoothie, the body is able to more readily absorb the nutrients.
- Low in calories: Because of its low calorie content and high fiber content, kale is an excellent food choice to incorporate into a diet that is focused on health and wellness.
- May help reduce inflammation: May help reduce inflammation Kale is loaded with antioxidants, which have been shown to help reduce inflammation in the body. Internal inflammation is linked to a wide range of degenerative disorders.
- May support heart health: May be beneficial for heart health Kale has a number of minerals that are beneficial for heart health, including potassium and magnesium. Also, there is some evidence that kale can help lower cholesterol.
- May support weight loss: Kale has a low number of calories and a high fiber content, both of which can help you feel fuller for longer periods of time and support your efforts to lose weight.
In general, incorporating kale smoothies into your diet is an excellent method to boost the amount of key nutrients you consume, which will, in turn, support your overall health and fitness.
Recipe For a Delicious and Nutritious Kale Smoothie:
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves, stems removed
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen berries (such as strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries)
- 1/2 cup plain Almond (dairy free) yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any milk of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon honey or Dates (optional for extra sweetness)
- Ice cubes (optional)
- The leaves of the kale should be washed, dried, and then the stems should be removed. The leaves should then be chopped up roughly and kept aside.
- After peeling and slicing it, the banana should be placed inside a blender.
- Put the frozen berries in a blender along with the Almond yogurt, almond milk, and honey or dates (if you’re using it). Blend until smooth.
- The kale leaves should be cut and added to the blender.
- If you want your smoothie to be a bit chillier and more invigorating, you can always throw a few ice cubes into the blender.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and process until creamy and smooth.
- You should taste the smoothie, and if additional honey or milk is required to get the desired sweetness or thickness, you should do so.
- After pouring the smoothie into a glass, you can start enjoying it right away.
Note: If you want this smoothie to be more satisfying and nutritious, you may customize it by adding other ingredients like protein powder, chia seeds, or nut butter. This will allow you to make it just how you like it.